Monday, April 4, 2011

Gaugin- Maker of Myth

National Gallery, Washington D.C. 2011

Exhibition collaboration with the TATE

I have never been a fan, and I'm still not. The exhibition was set up to expose the myths that Gauguin created surrounding his work. I think you can add this view to any major artist with a large enough body of work. You only have one set of eyes and the artist dissects the world from their perspective.
Gauguin, well yeah his symbolism and impressionist style sure was innovative in his time..but why look at it now. This exhibition was more like an artist lesson it did not connect with it i current times. If we see this exhibition in 5o years it could be the same.
Myth is when nothing is precise, there is no equal and opposite reaction.

Actually the Myth that I experience is that of my not very Polynesian roommates being obnoxious

No comments:

Post a Comment